1993 Mumbai blasts: SC dismisses review plea of Yakub Memon against death penalty

  • Agencies, New Delhi
  • Updated: Apr 09, 2015 13:49 IST

The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon's review plea to commute his death sentence to life, reports said.

The apex court bench of Justice Anil R Dave, Justice J Chelameswar and Justice Kurian Joseph in its order said the review plea is dismissed. The court had reserved its verdict March 25, 2015.

Yakub's mercy plea was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee in March this year following recommendations of the Maharashtra government and the Union home ministry.

Earlier in December last year, the SC had stayed the execution of Yakub's death penalty last year after the death row convict had filed review plea in the apex court.

Yakub, a chartered accountant and brother of fugitive terror mastermind Tiger Memon, was sentenced to death by a TADA court in 2007 after being found guilty of charges of criminal conspiracy and for arranging finances and managing its disbursement through the co-accused in the Mumbai serial blasts.

Upholding the Mumbai TADA court's verdict, Supreme Court, in March, 2013, had said, "It is not a hyperbole to state that he was one of the driving spirits behind the plan."

In October, 2013, Yakub applied for a presidential pardon following which, a report from the state government was sought by the home ministry.

Yakub was arrested from Kathmandu airport in 1994. He was later described by the TADA court as the mastermind who played a key role in the conspiracy, thus "warranting death penalty".

The multiple blasts had claimed 257 lives and left 713 injured. CBI, which probed the blasts, alleged that the conspiracy was hatched by Dawood Ibrahim and other absconding persons, including Tiger Memon, who is believed to be hiding in Pakistan.

(With inputs from PTI and IANS)

also read

1993 Mumbai blasts: SC uphelds Yakub Memon
Show comments