2 more die as protests rage in Kashmir | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

2 more die as protests rage in Kashmir

india Updated: Aug 20, 2010 22:09 IST
Peerzada Ashiq
Peerzada Ashiq
Hindustan Times

Despite a daylong 'deal' between the shutdown by separatists and the revocation of curfew by the authorities for the day, the Kashmir valley witnessed protests and violence on Friday that left one civilian dead.

A civilian, Nazir Ahmad Wani (22), was killed when the police opened fire at protestors at Bijbehara in south Kashmir's Anantnag district, 65 km south of Srinagar. Hundreds of people took to the streets at Bijbehara town, near the National Highway, and raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.

"The protestors tried to set ablaze the Bijbehara Police station and the Sub Divisional Police Officer's office. The police used teargas and cane-charge to disperse the mob," a police statement said. "The mob did not relent and tried to set the police station and the SDPO office on fire by throwing petrol bombs. The policemen inside the police station had to fire some rubber pallets in self defense," he added.

This triggered more protests and more deployment was sent to the area to control the situation. Most towns observed shutdown in south Kashmir protesting against the killing.

In north Kashmir's Sopore town, 55 km north of Srinagar, a civilian, Mudasir Ahmad (18), who received bullet injuries on Thursday, succumbed in a Srinagar hospital late Thursday night.

A CRPF spokesman said the paramilitary personnel led by company commander DK Dass opened fire using the Pump Action Shotgun - a weapon that fires several pallets simultaneously - after protestors attacked them with bottles.

"The officer (Dass) didn't allow his men to open fire. He (Dass) himself used the Pump Action Shotgun, which is a non-lethal weapon," said CRPF, spokesman Prabhakar Tripathi.

The police, however, registered a case under section 302 (attempt to murder) against CRPF for killing the teenage boy. A police officer confirmed to HT the lodging of the FIR on the condition of anonymity. There have been more than six deaths in Sopore since June 11.

With the killing of two men, the death toll in police and CRPF firing has reached to 61 since June 11.

Meanwhile, markets in most parts of the valley remained opened as separatists withdrew shutdown call for people to purchase essentials. However, there were reports of stone throwing on Srinagar, Baramulla and Anantnag.