200 fall ill after taking stale kheer | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 26, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

200 fall ill after taking stale kheer

AT LEAST 200 people, including a dozen children and three-dozen women, fell ill after consuming Kheer ? a kind of sweet dish ? in Khadra Kadam Rasool Khan locality in the city. They had consumed the Kheer this afternoon, which was prepared on Saturday night, on the occasion of wedding of one Fahat in the locality. In fact the left-over dish of the party was distributed in the morning to the neighbourhood families.

india Updated: Nov 20, 2006 00:26 IST

AT LEAST 200 people, including a dozen children and three-dozen women, fell ill after consuming Kheer – a kind of sweet dish – in Khadra Kadam Rasool Khan locality in the city. They had consumed the Kheer this afternoon, which was prepared on Saturday night, on the occasion of wedding of one Fahat in the locality. In fact the left-over dish of the party was distributed in the morning to the neighbourhood families.

Problem started two hours after they consumed the dish. Those who ate it complained of stomach pain and vomiting syndrome. Some even vomited in the house after which they were rushed to different hospitals where they were admitted as patients of food poisoning.

Nearly 60 patients were admitted to Balrampur Hospital in the evening while another 75 were given medicines in the emergency OPD. Patients were admitted in wards 2, 5, 7, 12 and 16.

Those admitted here included young children. Muskan (10 months), Mohd Zakir (2 years), Ajaj (13), Nazia (3), Zarin (8), Taiyaba (6), Nazneen (9), Danish (11), Faiza (8), Adnan (3) and Faizan (8) were some of the children admitted in different wards. Nearly three-dozen women also became victim of food poisoning.

Senior doctors rushed to Balrampur hospital to take stock of the situation. Stock of additional medicines was taken from the hospital store to manage the large number of patients who kept on coming from 5 pm till 7.30 pm.

“It is possible that the food was kept in the open and later on flies passed on infection in to it. The same was consumed by people of the locality and became victim of food poisoning,” said the DG (health) SS Srivastava, who visited Balrampur hospital in the evening.

Some of the patients were admitted at KGMU while two-dozen were taken to different private hospitals for treatment.

A team of doctors from the health department visited the locality and distributed medicines to those who had any further complaint of stomach pain or vomiting.
“We have made available two ambulances in the affected area for any new case to be transported to the hospital while a team of doctors would camp in Khadra till late night,” said the chief medical officer (Lucknow) Dr KK Singh.