21-yr-old feared raped and murdered in Noida | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

21-yr-old feared raped and murdered in Noida

india Updated: Jan 06, 2013 01:08 IST
Shashank Shekhar
Shashank Shekhar
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 21-year-old young woman has been feared raped and murdered in Noida. The semi-nude body of the woman, who used to work in an export firm in Noida's Sector 65, was found on Saturday morning near NH-24 at Sector 63.

The woman, a resident of Chotpur colony, was missing since Friday night.

She had left her office - barely three kilometres from her house - at 8.55pm with her three women colleagues.

They dropped her outside her residential colony after that. But she never reached home.

"When she did not return even by 10pm, we started looking for her. She had left her mobile phone at home on Friday. When our efforts to find her went in vain, we contacted the pradhan (village head) of our area," the victim's father said.

Her body has, meanwhile, been sent for post-mortem examination and a panel of two doctors conducted her medical examination.

The post-mortem report of the woman is still not clear whether she was raped.

Doctors have preserved the viscera and claimed that she died due to strangulation.

A supplementary report is expected after 24 hours which would establish whether the girl was sexually assaulted. An FIR has been registered at Sector 58 police station under section 376 (rape), 302 (murder) and 201 (destruction of evidence).

"We are scanning the mobile phone record of the victim. We have also detained one person," said Praveen Kumar, senior superintendent of the police.

Police apathy
It was apparent that the Noida Police did not learn any lesson in the aftermath of the brutal gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old woman in Delhi.

"She is young. She must have eloped with somebody," was what a duty officer told the family of the murdered Noida girl when they went to register their complaint at 5am the next day.

It was only after her body was found that the police swung into action and registered a case and launched an investigation.

But that was not the end of police apathy. The cops sent the body of girl for post-mortem examination after her minor brother identified the body.

"No elder member from the family was shown the body," claimed the girl's father.

"How can they send the body for post-mortem examination without showing it to the parents? It is clear that the police are not doing their job properly," said Surender Nagar, the member of Parliament who held a protest outside Sector 60 police post.