At least 22 people, including women and children, fell sick Monday after chlorine gas leaked from a tank in Orissa's Berhampur town, an official said.
"The tank was kept in the premises of the public health department office to purify water. How it leaked out is yet to be ascertained," Berhampur Superintendent of Police Safeen Ahmed told IANS.
The victims were admitted to a hospital after they complained of chest pain and difficulty in breathing.
All the affected people are out of danger, the official added. Berhampur is about 180 km from here.
Schools, and private and government offices in the nearby areas were immediately ordered closed.
"Efforts are on to contain the leakage," he said.