More than 250 people, among them 35 children, fell sick after eating prasad (offering) at a devotional meeting in West Bengal’s Howarh district, police said on Tuesday.
The suspected food poisoning occurred in Amta area in the district on Sunday night, police said.
“More than 250 people have been admitted to local hospitals in Amta. They fell ill after consuming prasad at a religious meeting,” a police officer at Amta police station told IANS.
After consuming the prasad, the victims complained of acute stomachache and nausea. As their condition deteriorated, they were rushed to hospitals.