Three months after the unprecedented terror attack in Mumbai, a chargesheet will be filed on Wednesday against over two dozen people, including the lone arrested gunman Mohammad Ajmal Amir Iman Kasab, for crimes ranging from murder to waging war against the country.
The nearly 5,000 page chargesheet in the Mumbai siege which brought the country's financial capital down to its knees for 72 hours killing 183 people will also include the reports and forensic examination conducted by the FBI, which had been working along with the Central Security agencies in the case.
"The nearly 5,000-page chargesheet is ready and will be filed before a Metropolitan Magistrate tomorrow," special public prosecutor Ujwal Nikam told PTI without giving further details. The case would be later committed to a Special court of M L Tahilyani.
Kasab, whose Pakistani identity has been confirmed, will face charges ranging from waging war against the country to murder, attempt to murder and other provisions of the Indian Penal Code and under the stringent MCOCA, officials said. He is also being charged under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and for entering the railway platform without ticket.
Besides Kasab, nine other Lashkar terrorists killed in the encounter, over a dozen accused including Yosuf Muzzamil and Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, the suspected mastermind of the 26/11 carnage and believed to be hiding in Pakistan will be named in the chargesheet.
Fahim Ansari and Sabbauddin, alleged to be involved in carrying out recee for the Lashkar militants, will also be chargesheeted in the case. Both of them are Indian nationals.
Kasab and his associate Ismail Khan had allegedly gunned down ATS chief Hemant Karkare, DIG Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Ashok Kamte in an encounter near the Cama hospital, besides killing 59 commuters at CST station.
Some of the sleuths of FBI, who have cracked the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) operations used by terrorists for talking to their masters across the borders, are likely to depose before the court through video-conferencing.
The names of the wanted accused will figure in column two of the chargesheet (those who could not be brought for trial), which will enable the police to seek a non-bailable warrant against them and subsequently an Interpol Red Corner Notice.
India has been exerting all diplomatic pressures on Pakistan to handover the suspects, including Muzzamil and Lakhvi to New Delhi for questioning in the case.
Kasab, along with nine others, came through the sea route into the Indian waters, and indulged in shooting at various places including Taj Mahal Hotel, Nariman House, Oberoi hotel and VT station that resulted in the killing of 183 people, besides injuries to hundred others.
The other accomplices of the Lashkar terrorist were killed during the gun battle with Mumbai Police and elite National Security Guard.