The fate of suspected Lashkar-e-Tayyeba operative Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured alive during the November 26 terror attack on the city, is likely to be sealed before Diwali this year.
Judge M.L. Tahiliyani, trying the Pakistani national and two locals – Faheem Ahmed Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed – for their alleged involvement in the 26/11 attack said he has planned to complete the trial before Diwali.
After Special Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam sought a week’s leave after Ganeshotsav, Judge Tahiliyani said: “Diwali purvi mala he sarva sampvayche ahe (I want to complete this before Diwali).”
Nikam’s request is well in advance as the trial is being conducted on day-to-day basis.
The prosecution is presenting the case taking in detail seven incidences in which Kasab’s direct involvement is alleged and covering other five incidences for proving the charges of conspiracy and waging war against the nation.
So far, the special court has recorded evidence pertaining to four of the seven incidences and testimonies of 134 witnesses have been recorded.
Presently evidence pertaining to the fifth incidence – killing of the then Anti Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare, Additional Commissioner of Police Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar outside Cama Hospital – is being recorded.
The court on Thursday recorded evidence of a panch witness Rajesh Kombkar and Inspector Pradeep Londhe, who had conducted the panchnama of the spot where Karkare, Kamte and Salaskar were killed.
The CCTV footage of Kasab and his partner Abu Ismail, captured behind the Times of India building, was also screened in the court.
Abraham Vergese, chief security officer of Times of India, testified on Thursday as the first court witness.