26/11 trial: Witnesses link Kasab to Vile Parle blast | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 29, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

26/11 trial: Witnesses link Kasab to Vile Parle blast

The prosecution, on Wednesday, opened Vile Parle taxi blast case — the seventh and last case — that alleges Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab’s direct involvement in the 26/11 terror attacks.

india Updated: Sep 03, 2009 01:34 IST
HT Correspondent

The prosecution, on Wednesday, opened Vile Parle taxi blast case — the seventh and last case — that alleges Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab’s direct involvement in the 26/11 terror attacks.

The four witnesses who deposed against Kasab before the special court included three police officials from Vile Parle police station — assistant police inspector, Ramchandra Lotlikar, assistant sub-inspector Shankar Tambe and police sub-inspector Mausmi Patil.

Mohan Welankar was the fourth panch witness.

According to the prosecution, Kasab had planted an Improvised Explosive Devise (IED) in the taxi, hired by the suspected Lashkar-e-Tayyeba operative along with his slain partner Abu Ismail.

The blast caused by the explosive was so powerful that one of the victim’s severed head was found 330 ft away, in the basement of City Swan Club along the Western Express Highway.

Lolitkar also revealed that parts of the taxi, ripped into two pieces by the blast, and body parts of the victims were scattered over 500 ft from the blast site.

Tambe told the special court of judge M.L. Taheliyani that although rear portion of the taxi remained intact, the front was blown 150 ft away from the spot.

Lade cross examined Later in the day, defence lawyer Abbas Kazmi cross-examined forensic expert Shrikant Lade, who has been instrumental in linking Kasab and four slain attackers to the hijacked fishing trawler MV Kuber.

On being questioned, Lade admitted that current scientific procedures used for DNA fingerprinting could not distinguish between an artificially created DNA and a natural one.

Lade added that while 99.7 per cent of all DNA structures were common, the remaining 0.3 per cent were unique for every individual.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature