29 in hospital after wedding feast | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 30, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

29 in hospital after wedding feast

Twenty-nine people, including seven children and nine women, were admitted to civic-run R.N.Cooper Hospital early on Monday morning after they developed symptoms of food poisoning, reports Alifiya Khan.

india Updated: Jan 20, 2009 14:27 IST
Alifiya Khan

Twenty-nine people, including seven children and nine women, were admitted to civic-run R.N.Cooper Hospital early on Monday morning after they developed symptoms of food poisoning, allegedly due to the food they ate at a wedding reception in Andheri. None of them is in a serious condition.

The patients said that they turned nauseous and began vomiting soon after the wedding party disbanded, and had to be rushed to the hospital.

The hospital is treating the patients for pain in abdomen, vomiting and loose motions, Dr S.S. Gawde, the hospital’s medical superintendent said.

The hospital has sent the vomit samples to the police authorities.

“It’s a catastrophe. It’s such a terrible start for my kids married life,” said Nawaz Hafiz Khan, the bridegroom’s father, who had to convince guests, many of whom are from Jalgaon, not to return home. “What if they fall ill on the way? It’s better to be here.”

Khan was particularly worried about his brother-in-law Rashid Shaikh and son-in-law Abbas Shaikh, who have both been admitted to the hospital’s intensive care unit.

Khan’s son Ahmed Khan (21) married Shabnam Sheikh (18) wed on January 17 and the reception was held at their colony in Dongri area in Andheri. Fortunately, they have not taken ill, but have postponed their honeymoon plans.

“There were 1,800 guests, but only these fell ill. I don’t think the caterer is responsible; we have used his services before for two wedding receptions. But whatever went wrong, I hope they get better,” said Khan, who owns a ration shop and is also a trustee of two Andheri schools, Oscar Public School and Mumbai Urdu High School.

The relatives, however, blame the food. “We ate chicken korma and naan at the wedding reception,” said Mohammad Asif Shaikh (25), the bridegroom’s cousin, who was one of the first ones to be rushed to the hospital. “Soon after we came home, I started experiencing stomach pain and vomited. We learnt that others were not well and rushed here. The culprit has to be faulty food.”

The police said they had not arrested anyone.

“We have recorded the statements of the victims and related people. Further action will be taken as the investigation progresses,” said Aijendra Thakur, senior police inspector at the D.N. Nagar police station.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature