2nd air crash in residential area in Hyderabad in 18 months | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

2nd air crash in residential area in Hyderabad in 18 months

india Updated: Mar 03, 2010 18:51 IST
Highlight Story

It was for the second time in 18 months that a trainer plane freefell in seconds, nose-diving from the sky straight into a crowded residential area near Begumpet airport Hyderabad on Wednesday forcing panic stricken people to run for cover.

And horrific memories of the crash of a Cessna trainer aircraft into a thickly populated area not far away of the site of today's crash of a Naval trainer aicraft came flitting through the minds of people.

A trainee pilot and his trainer were killed on September 8, 2008 when their aircraft crashed turning into a ball of fire with a thunderous sound within minutes of taking off.

While a major part of the aircraft was burnt, parts of its wing and other debris fell on the nearby houses damaging them. A few parts of the aircraft crashed through the roof of a small house causing extensive damage. But miraculously there was no loss of life on the ground.

The aircraft belonging to the Andhra Pradesh Flying Club had taken off from the Begumpet air field and within a few minutes it crashed near Fateh Nagar bridge of Sanathnagar, about seven km from the New Bowenpally locality, the scene of today's crash of Kiran aircraft into a residential building.

As the Cessna aircraft crashed into the residential area in a ball of fire with a deafening sound, the panic-stricken residents of the area had run helter skelter to save their lives.

Similar scenes were witnessed even today with some eyewitnesses saying they are lucky to be alive.

The two victims in the 2008 crash were identified as trainer pilot Neeraj Jain and trainee Srinivas. Both the persons remained bound to their seats by the belts they wore.

Local people had tried to save their lives by removing them from the debris but the effort was futile due to flames. The two victims were seriously injured and were alive for some time after the crash.