3 arrested in Manipal gangrape case after a week | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

3 arrested in Manipal gangrape case after a week

india Updated: Jun 28, 2013 09:19 IST

Cracking the case after a week, police on Thursday arrested three men in connection with the abduction and gangrape of a 22-year-old medical student, with two of them allegedly making a futile suicide bid.

The breakthrough came as an accused Yogesh Shantappa Poojary (30), consumed poison and made a call to the Udupi Superintendent of Police's office on Thursday morning, confessing to his crime, IGP (Western Range) Pratap Reddy told reporters.

"He first consumed poison and then gave a call to us. He was groaning over phone and heard him saying the police will catch him, but will not let that happen," he said.

Police located Yogesh's house through mobile tracker and rushed him to hospital, Reddy said, adding, he was now stable and recuperating.

During interrogation, Yogesh disclosed the name of his accomplice Hariprasad Poojary (26), Reddy said.

"In fact Hariprasad was questioned earlier while interrogating auto drivers," he said.

Yogesh and Hariprasad were auto-rikshaw drivers who had criminal records, he said. Both were arrested in Udupi.

After the two arrests, the third accused -- Anand (28) --was nabbed from Sannakkibettu village near here while he was allegedly making an attempt to hang himself.

"The police, who were searching for him since morning near Onthibettu village, made timely intervention and prevented him from committing suicide. Anand has been rushed to KMC hospital and is undergoing treatment," he said.

Earlier in Bangalore, before the arrests were announced, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the accused would be tried by a fast-track court. Reddy said the abduction and gang-rape of the victim was not pre-planned.

"The accused had kidnapped and raped the girl under the influence of alcohol," he said. The auto-rickshaw used for abduction and gang-rape has been found, Reddy said.

The medical student from Kerala was kidnapped in the Manipal University campus and gang-raped while she was returning to her room on June 20, with the incident triggering outrage and protests.

Twelve police teams with 200 persons were working on the case. Reddy said the police is hoping to get cooperation from the victim as it has been difficult for it to elicit vital clues for further investigation.

"There are many legal procedures to ensure justice to the victim. We need to bring the victim for identification and verify the crime spot."

About Rs two lakh reward announced by police for anyone who could provide information leading to the arrest of the culprits, he said they would not reveal the informer's name for security reasons. Reddy said the police would soon arrest the third culprit.