Five persons were killed and 35 others injured on Tuesday in two separate terror attacks in Karbi Anglong district of Assam, about 300 km south-east of the capital.
These were the first such attacks after the horrific blasts of October 30 in the towns of Guwahati, Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon and Barpeta in Lower Assam which claimed more than 85 lives.
A powerful bomb went off inside a second-class coach of the Tinsukia-bound Lumding-Tinsukia passenger train at the Diphu railway station at about 8.10 am on Tuesday, instantly killing Kamal Singh Teron, 26 and five-year-old Raj Debnath. A third victim, Moni Debnath, 35, died while being taken to hospital. Thirty-five others were injured in the train blast, 10 of them seriously.
Elsewhere in the district, two motorcycle-borne militants with an AK–47 rifle gunned down a Hindi-speaking couple at the Dolamora village under Barpathar police station at around 10.30 am. The couple was identified as Ram Kumar Sonar and his wife.
The Karbi Longri National Liberation Front (KLNLF), a Karbi tribal outfit, has claimed responsibility for the two strikes. Speaking to a private news channel, front’s spokesman Thong Teron said, “There will be more of them (attacks) if the
government continues to ignore the demands of Karbi Anglong," he said.
The KLNLF, which has a 10 point charter of demands primarily relating to greater autonomy for Karbi Anglong district, has been involved in several violent incidents in the past, and is known to be closely allied to the separatist United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA).
Of the train blast, Krishna Kanta Sarma, the Karbi Anglong superintendent of police, said: “The bomb was kept on an upper berth of the coach. A timer device was found from the blast site.”
Live bombs were also found on Tuesday at the Congress office in Dokmoka town and in the local rail station’s cloakroom, but were defused. The KLNLF had earlier called an indefinite economic blockade in the region starting Tuesday morning.