At least 40 persons, including 35 students, were taken ill after having sweets distributed on the occasion of Independence day at Buchukupuda, about 50 km from Rourkela, official sources said on Monday.
Thirty-five students and five adults were rushed to Rajgangpur area hospital when all of them showed symptoms like vomitting, stomach ache and dehydration as they took the dry sweets, distributed after hoisting of tricolour at Buchukupuda Upper Primary School under Rajgangpur police limits yesterday.
Of those falling sick, 14 persons were admitted to the hospital and rest were discharged after treatment.
The condition of the admitted students was stated to be out of danger, attending doctors said and attributed the illness to suspected food poisoning.
The oil used in preparing the sweets is being examined.