THIRTY-SIX sports personalities, including players and coaches, were honoured with Vikram and Vishvamitra awards at a function at Ravindra Bhawan on Monday.
The ceremony was organised by the Sports and Youth Welfare Department to give away awards for 2005 and 2006. For the first time, the prestigious sports awards are being presented second time in a year. The last awards function was held earlier this year.
World champion in trap shooting Manavjeet Singh Sandhu was the special guest on the occasion. Chief guest and Governor Dr Balram Jakhar lauded Chief Minster Shivraj Singh Chouhan for giving boost to sports activities in MP.
“I hope the announcements made by the Chief Minister would benefit players in a big way,” Jakhar said. In his address, Shivraj Singh Chouhan made several announcements for the Sports department. He said the government is committed to giving all required facilities to the players. There is need to identify the talent available across the State especially in rural areas, he added.
Finance Minister Raghavji, Director, Sports, Sanjay Chaudhary, Joint Director Dr Vinod Pradhan among other dignitaries graced the proceedings.
Announcements made by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan
1. Opening of shooting academy in Bhopal
2. Malkhamb to get State-level status
3. Special emphasis on the welfare of tribal players
4. Opening of Gramin Yuva Kendra at block-levels
5. Opening of men’s hockey academy in Bhopal
6. Special schemes for mentally challenged players
7. Opening of international standard stadium in Bhopal, Indore and Jabalpur