4 killed, more than 70 injured in fresh Kashmir violence | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

4 killed, more than 70 injured in fresh Kashmir violence

india Updated: Jul 06, 2010 22:07 IST

Fresh violence broke out in Kashmir Valley after days of calm, leaving four persons dead and over 70 injured following which indefinite curfew was clamped in Srinagar on Tuesday.

Fayaz Ahmad Wani was killed when security personnel allegedly opened fire at a stone-pelting mob protesting the death of a man after he fell in a drain during a demonstration in Batmaloo area of the city Monday night.

A 25-year-old woman identified as Fancy was killed by a stray bullet in the same area when security forces fired in air to disperse a mob which went on a rampage and attacked a police building after torching a welfare centre in that premises, police said.

Indefinite curfew was clamped in the city after the latest spell of violence. The state government may approach the Army to assist the authorities in maintaining law and order, sources said.

Abrar Khan, 18, was killed while 20-year-old Owais Ahmad alias "Mandaila" was seriously injured in the evening when police fired to disperse protesters in Maisuma in the heart of Srinagar city after they defied curfew orders, police said.

Besides Srinagar, violence also took place in Baramulla, Pampore in Pulwama and parts of curfew-bound Anantnag leaving 25 injured including an assistant sub-inspector who was hit by a stone on his head at Mattan chowk in Anantnag.

Police said the mobs also pelted stones on police stations at Pattan and Pampore. The policemen fired in air to scare away the protesters.

Police resorted to firing to disperse several thousand mourners carrying the body of Fancy who was killed in Batmaloo, after teargas shelling and baton charge proved ineffective.

The protesters were marching towards Lal Chowk when they were stopped by police at Magermal bagh leading to clashes between the two sides, the sources said adding some of the protesters set ablaze a nearby barrack of Indian Reserve Police (IRP) besides damaging the window panes of the house of National Conference MLA Irfan Shah.

Some ammunition stored in the barrack was destroyed in the fire.

As authorities rushed reinforcements to strictly enforce curfew in Srinagar, protesters clashed with security forces in various places including Khanyar, Nowhatta, Rajouri Kadal, Barzulla, Fateh Kadal, Braripora, Tatoo Ground, Hyderpora, Baghat, Rambagh, Jehangir Chowk, Maisuma, and Habbakadal, resulting in injuries to 45 people.

The protests had begun in the area late last night when a group of men started throwing stones at a security contingent. The protesters were chased by security personnel and one of them identified as Muzaffar Ahmad fell in the drain. His body was later fished out.