4-year-old rescued after late night raid | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

4-year-old rescued after late night raid

india Updated: Sep 30, 2011 23:52 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Nearly 14 hours after Rahul (name changed), 4, was kidnapped from Ghaziabad's Vasundhara, the police rescued the boy after a shootout with the abductors in the wee hours of Friday.

Four of the kidnappers were arrested from the D-block flat of Ghaziabad's Lajpat Nagar. Two others managed to escape.

The arrested men were in their early 20s, well-educated and had kidnapped the child for ransom, said SSP Raghubir Lal.

Praveen Kumar Verma, a Delhi University graduate, was the alleged mastermind. Piyush Tiwary has a bachelor's degree in computer applications and is pursuing MBA from a college at Sahibabad. Sandeep Pal is another BCA student and Zaheer Abbas holds a diploma in automobile engineering.

Sundar Kasana, a gang member of sharp-shooter Chahat Kasana, and Sumit Kumar managed to escape.

The men had planned the abduction two months ago. Rahul's father is a supervisor with an automobile company in Sahibabad. Verma's aunt Arti Pal was his colleague.

After kidnapping Rahul, the men bundled him into an Alto car and headed for Delhi, from where they demanded a ransom of Rs 70 lakh. The call was traced to New Friends Colony.

Six hours later, the police found the cell phone that had been in use in Lajpat Nagar for the last 15 days. Rahul's father told the police that Pal stayed in Lajpat Nagar and she was on leave. A 30-strong police team launched a late night raid at Pal's flat, where they came under heavy fire. Sunil Kumar, station officer of Indirapuram, and two constables were injured.

"We are searching for the two absconding men and Arti Pal," said the SSP. She is at her hometown in Etah, but her flat was used for the crime by the accused. The men were booked for kidnapping and officers said they would be booked for attempt to murder as well, since they had opened fire on the police team.