More than 40 school students in a Jharkhand school fell ill after eating a meal cooked using washing powder instead of salt, police said Saturday.
The incident occurred Friday in Kargalo Middle School in Bishnugarh block of Hazaribagh district, some 130 km from here.
After eating 'khichdi', the students started vomiting and complained of stomach pain. They were admitted to a hospital in Bishnugarh.
"Primary investigation reveal that washing powder was used in place of salt. We are verifying whether this happened by mistake or if someone did it deliberately," a police officer said.
The principal of the school, Ram Kishore Prasad, has been suspended for dereliction of duty.