A freak mishap claimed the life of a 40-year-old chartered accountant, when his two-wheeler burst into flames while he was kick-starting it on Thursday morning.
The victim, Vipul Popatlal Gadda, succumbed to burn injuries caused after the bike caught fire, after the battery exploded. The explosion appears to be a result of a technical glitch, which was very old, police said.
The incident occurred at around 9.50am, when Gadda stepped out of his Parel residence to go to work. The bike was parked in the lane between the Kalkatawala building where he lived and Wellington building on Dr BA Road. “Gadda was kick starting his bike. This caused the battery to heat up and explode, as a result of which the carburator and other components to catch fire,” said VB Patil, senior inspector, Bhoiwada police.
On hearing the explosion, residents of nearby buildings rushed to the spot and poured water on Gadda. They took him to the KEM hospital. Gadda was admitted to the intensive care unit but succumbed to his injuries.
The police, fire brigade and a team from the bomb detection and disposal squad inspected the spot and the bike but did not find anything suspicious. The police have ruled out foul play and are taking the help of experts to ascertain the exact cause of the explosion and fire.
Gadda is survived by his wife, two children, his elderly mother and two sisters. His relatives are now worried about how his mother will take the news. “His mother has suffered two heart attacks in the past and we are very worried about her,” a relative said. They are also shocked by the accident. “We all ride bikes and would never imagine that such a thing could happen.”
A doctor from the KEM Hospital said: “We put him on ventilator but owing to the extent of the injuries, we couldn’t save him.”