442 people have been convicted so far by various courts of Delhi in connection with the anti-Sikh riots of 1984, Rajya Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Minister of state for home Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary said the home ministry has constituted a Special Investigation Team to re-investigate serious criminal cases which were filed in the National Capital Territory of Delhi in connection with the 1984 riots and have since been closed. SIT will examine the records of such cases afresh, he said.
Chaudhary said the rehabilitation package of 2006 provided ex-gratia payment in case of death, injury, damaged residential properties and damaged uninsured commercial, industrial properties and other assistance to the victims of 1984 riots.
So far, the home ministry has reimbursed an amount of Rs 154.54 crore to the government of NCT of Delhi under this package, he said.
The Minister said the central government has also sanctioned additional compensation of Rs 5 lakh to the next of kin of those who were killed in the 1984 riots.
The Government of NCT has reported that they have distributed an amount of Rs 73,53,24,000 to the families of victims, he said.