5 steps to being a stylist: Anaita Shroff
Being a stylist is all about living and loving fashion, says stylist Anaita Shroff Adajania. If you are an aspiring stylist then here are 5 simple steps to live your dreams. Read on for more...india Updated: Jul 17, 2010 14:24 IST
1. Live and love fashion to be a successful stylist: Follow forecasts and read fashion magazines and trend reports. Styling is not just about clothes, it also includes hair and make-up and design. I shopped for international fashion magazines before they came to India, spending all my pocket money on buying them. Even I couldn't understand why I was so obsessed with them. When Elle was launched here and I bagged a job, it all finally made sense.
2. Build relations: It's always good to know people, especially since as a stylist, your job will require you to style them in the future. Stay put with one organisation for a decent period of time. I was associated with each magazine for an average of three-and-a-half years. It helps to learn about different powerhouses and their working styles in depth.
3. Assist a stylist: There’s no better way to polish your skill than by assisting someone who is master of the art. But you have to take care to assist someone whose sense of style matches yours. For instance, if your style is gothic and you’re assisting someone whose style is classic, you'll end up confused.
4. Build a portfolio: You can't just say that you are an aspiring stylist and not have any work to show for it. The best way to do this is to ask an aspiring actor or model to pose for you.
5. Be a professional: This is true for any profession. But as a stylist, one has to be punctual and have clear thoughts. You must clearly communicate your vision to your team and the person you are styling too.