7-yr-old's suicide: Father files complaint; autopsy report awaited | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 26, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

7-yr-old's suicide: Father files complaint; autopsy report awaited

india Updated: Jun 28, 2011 00:12 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal

Three days after a seven-year-old minor girl died under mysterious circumstances at Anwarpur area of Pilkhuwa town in Ghaziabad, her father forwarded a police complaint about the incident at Pilkhuwa police station on Monday morning.

On Saturday, the girl was found burnt inside a room at her house in Anwarpur and was rushed to a local hospital for treatment. Later, she was referred to GTB Hospital in Delhi where she was declared dead with 80% burn injuries.

Ghaziabad police had ordered a post-mortem of the victim at the hospital and specifically asked for an opinion on sexual assault. While the post-mortem report is yet to be received, the victim's father Manoj Kumar forwarded a hand-written complaint to the police on Monday.

In his complaint, Kumar said he was away for work and his wife also not present at the house when the incident took place. "Three kids, including the victim, were present at the house and the girl was somehow found burnt. We don't know how the incident took place…," superintendent of police (rural) AK Mishra, said while quoting Kumar's complaint.

Speaking to Hindustan Times at Anwarpur, the victim's family members said they submitted the complaint without any pressure and are awaiting the post-mortem report.

"We never suspected anyone or suspect any foul play in the incident. We never alleged rape or any sexual assault and have maintained that the post-mortem report can bring out a clear picture as none of the elders were present at home at the time of the incident," said Bhram Pal, the victim's elder uncle.

Meanwhile, he also confirmed the girl's age to be nine years.

"Once the post-mortem report is received, further investigations would be carried out according to the indications and its conclusions," said SSP Raghubir Lal from Lucknow.

Police have so far maintained that the girl poured kerosene and set herself on fire after she was rebuked and slapped by her uncle Ravindra Kumar for throwing a stone at her elder cousin brother Debu, aged nine. Ravindra is presently under police detention and had been questioned regarding the incident.