Maharashtra home secretary, Umesh Chandra Sarangi, today said the state government had implemented over 70% of recommendations of the Ram Pradhan Committee, which was appointed after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
As to the latest blasts in Mumbai, he said involvement of "local hand" could not be ruled out.
Following the blasts earlier this week, state government had come under fire from the opposition parties in yesterday's all-party meeting. Leader of opposition in assembly, Eknath Khadse, alleged that government had implemented only 25 percent of the Pradhan Committee's recommendations on security.
"State government has implemented more than 70 percent of recommendations of Pradhan Committee," Sarangi told PTI. "We have strengthened coastal security by setting up 12 coastal police stations. Also, 28 speed boats have been purchased and another 29 would be purchased in coming months."
Advanced weapons were procured to combat terror, he said.
As to the probe of Wednesday's blasts, he said, "Investigations are going on in the right direction. It is too early to say anything now. We will get them. However it will take sometime."
Sarangi refused to single out any terror outfit that could be responsible for the blasts, but said that possibility of a "local hand" could not be ruled out. "Every possibility has to be considered," he said.
He said a public-police interface to prevent terror attacks in future was needed. "Our most important requirement is intelligence. We need to put emphasis on grass-root intelligence...not necessarily just informers, even common man can play an important role," he said.