90:10 quota aims at transparency, says Govt resolution | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 29, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

90:10 quota aims at transparency, says Govt resolution

The state government’s written order spelling out details of its 90:10 quota in junior college admissions is out. The order specifies that it has been put in place to ensure equal opportunity for all students, and transparency in the admission process. Sayli Udas Mankikar reports.

india Updated: Jun 20, 2009 00:50 IST
Sayli Udas Mankikar

The state government’s written order spelling out details of its 90:10 quota in junior college admissions is out. The order specifies that it has been put in place to ensure equal opportunity for all students, and transparency in the admission process.

The Government Resolution (GR) says SSC Board students will have a 90 per cent quota in every junior college in Maharashtra, and the remaining 10 per cent will be open for students from other Boards. The decision, it says, will be implemented from the current academic year.

It goes on to justify the government stand on the 90:10 issue, and why the state is implementing it. “There is a huge disparity in the exam system, teaching methodologies, marking scheme, syllabus, even strength of class between the SSC Board and other boards,” it says.

It adds that considering the number of students in CBSE and ICSE schools, and the number of higher secondary (class 11 and 12) schools and colleges they can seek admission in, vis-à-vis students from SSC schools, their scores and college admission availability, there is a huge gap. This, it says, is unfair on SSC students.

It also mentions the government’s previous effort to introduce a percentile system – where a formula was used to bring the percentage scores of SSC students at par with students from other Boards – was challenged in court and suppressed with a stay.