'93 blasts verdict: Sentencing in Jan
Sentencing of 100 people convicted in serial bombings case in Mumbai in 1993 will begin at the end of January.india Updated: Dec 05, 2006 12:26 IST
Sentencing of 100 people convicted over a series of bombings in Mumbai in 1993 will begin at the end of January, the prosecutor said on Tuesday, a day after a judge announced the final verdicts in the case.
On Monday, Judge Pramod Kode found a final six men guilty, bringing the total convicted to 100, while 23 others were acquitted.
"The arguments for sentencing will begin on the December 11, and will go on for about 15 days. We are expecting the verdicts to be delivered at the end of January," said public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.
Late last month, Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt was convicted for possession of illegal arms bought from gangsters accused of carrying out the bombings.
He faces a possible 10 years' jail, despite being cleared of a more serious charge of conspiracy.
Others waiting to be sentenced are four members of the Memon family, relatives of Ibrahim Mushtaq "Tiger" Memon, a close associate of Dawood Ibrahim.
The trial, held in a court inside a prison complex for security reasons, began in 1994, but hearings began in earnest only the following year. Kode delivered his first verdicts in September.