A costly, deadly error | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 12, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

A costly, deadly error

A ‘mistake’ by the Gurgaon Police may have cost a young man his mother, reports Sanjeev Ahuja.

india Updated: Nov 24, 2009 23:49 IST
Sanjeev Ahuja

A ‘mistake’ by the Gurgaon Police may have cost a young man his mother.

The Gurgaon Police has come under fire for falsely implicating a taxi driver in a case of vehicle snatching, torturing him for a week during police remand and then sending him to judicial custody for about a month.

During this period, his mother died, allegedly after falling into depression.

The same vehicle was later recovered from three professional criminals.

Taxi driver Malvendra Kumar (29) and his family have now approached the police high command and have demanded stern action against the police officials involved in his arrest and detention.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Jagdish Nagara admitted the goof-up and has ordered a departmental inquiry against the Station House Officer of DLF city (Phase I) police station, Mohan Lal.

“It was one rare case of mistake by police officials. We realised the mistake after the arrest of three criminals and the recovery of the stolen vehicle from them. We have quashed the robbery case against Malvendra,” Nagara said.

But Malvendra Kumar, a resident of village Gwalpahari, was far from being mollified by the admission.

“The damage to me has already been done. I not only spent about a month in jail and faced third degree torture, my mother Suresh Devi too died during this time because of depression.”

Singh claimed SHO Lal had deliberately implicated him and one of his friends in the case on the behest of some influential people with whom he had been involved in an old legal battle.

“Mohan Lal arrested me and my friend on July 4 and subjected us to third degree torture till July 10 when we were remanded in judicial custody,” said Kumar.

“During this time my mother started suffering from depression as the SHO continued to threaten her that he would implicate my brother too in a similar case. She died on August 1,” Kumar said

SHO Mohan Lal was not available for comments as the officials at the DLF City police station said that he had left on a two-day leave and would be back on Thursday.