A trip gone sour | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

A trip gone sour

india Updated: Oct 25, 2008 00:50 IST
Sanjeev K Ahuja
Sanjeev K Ahuja
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Nirmala Devi Thakran has not eaten since she heard about the attack on the school bus in Agra. Her two daughters and two nieces were on board that bus.

One daughter Ritu Thakran is a teacher with New Happy Child Senior Secondary School. Poonam, the other one, is a student of the school.

The Thakrans got to know about the episode within 15 minutes of its occurrence at 12.15 pm. They are also the only parents of students who know about the incident.

New Happy Child Senior Secondary School is a co-educational institute in Khor village in Pataudi — about 35 kms from Gurgaon city. It has about 750 students and follows the Haryana Education Board Curriculum. “Let the girls come back. They are going to get it from me. I had told them not to go for the trip as the atmosphere is not conducive for girls,” she said.

About 47 school children, including 15 girls, had left for a trip on the evening of October 21. They were accompanied by the school principal, teachers and three drivers.

Nirmala Devi Thakran said the school management would be questioned on why the students were taken to the theatre for a late night show. The bus was expected to return late in the evening.

Rohit Thakran, Poonam’s brother, said he got a call at 12.25 pm after the bus was attacked. “I spoke with Lalit, one of the boys. He said three drunken youths had created ruckus inside the theatre and assaulted the students, including girls, after Lalit objected to their misbehaviour with him. They left the theatre and returned with two more persons who were riding another motorcycle.”

Satbir Singh, the father of the two girls who works with Jet Airways, said school principal Saroj Thakran had assured him from Agra that none of the students were hurt. “I was told that only the driver was injured. We were not told that the girls were misbehaved with,” the father said.

The phones of the principal and the teachers were switched off.