The Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) cash boxes have started jingling with donations again.
The party’s coffers are swelling again ever since AAP convener Arvind Kejriwal urged people to contribute “wholeheartedly” for future electoral battles.
“On Thursday, we resumed our donation collection drive. `22,71,740 was received from 1,957 donors. We thank all the people for their support. We feel blessed and honoured,” said AAP member Bipul Dey.
By 5.30 pm on Friday, the figure had crossed the `51.61 lakh mark. A breakdown of the donations suggested that Indians had been the biggest donor for the party, followed by contributions sent from people in the US, Singapore, UK, United Arab Emirates and Australia, besides other countries.
Some places in India from where donations have come include Bareilly, Gopalganj, Latur, Ernakulam, Faridabad, Hyderabad and Banglore.
The amount received varied from `100 to `5,000 or more.
The party had on November 17 stopped their donation drive after meeting its target of `20 crore. Of the `20 crore that the AAP received from 71,616 people, it spent `18.25 crore on the Delhi elections. It has a corpus of `1.75 crore in its kitty.
While thanking people for their support, Kejriwal had said on Wednesday: “There may be re-elections in Delhi because of the fractured mandate. And we are certainly going to fight the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. We need money. I hence urge the people to donate to us as wholeheartedly as they did earlier.”
“Earlier people feared donating to us — they said their details appeared on our website might be targeted by other parties. Now they know we have the people’s mandate. They have nothing to worry. I therefore urge them to please donate generously and ask their friends, families to contribute as well,” he said.
“AAP supporters and donors have shown that elections can be fought with clean money and with full transparency. We hope more people will come forward and help raise money for the party,” he said.
But the party’s donation drive has not been without hurdles. The party has had to send a reply to a 30-point questionnaire sent to it by the Union home ministry on November 4 following complaints that it was receiving donations from foreign nationals.