Aarushi-Hemraj case verdict after 3pm, Talwars in court | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 19, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Aarushi-Hemraj case verdict after 3pm, Talwars in court

The judgment in the Aarushi-Hemraj murder case is now expected to be delivered after 3pm today, a lawyer told reporters outside the special CBI court in Ghaziabad. Full Coverage | 2 murders and 3 mysteries

india Updated: Nov 26, 2013 09:22 IST
HT Correspondents

The judgment in the Aarushi-Hemraj murder case is now expected to be delivered after 3pm on Monday, a lawyer told reporters outside the special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court in Ghaziabad.

Earlier, special judge Shyam Lal was expected to deliver the verdict at 2pm.

The lawyer told reporters that the judge sought more time and thus postponed his verdict.

Aarushi's parents dentist couple Rajesh Talwar and Nupur Talwar - who face charges of murder and destruction of evidence in the murders of their daughter and domestic help on the intervening night of May 15-16, 2008 at their Jalvayu Vihar residence in Noida - did not speak at all in the court, the lawyer said.

Rajesh and Nupur are out on bail at present.

Special judge Lal, who is retiring on November 30, will give his decision after an 18-month-long trial.

"There is no evidence against us and we will come out clean," Talwars' advocate Tanvir Ahmed Mir said.

Heavy security has been deployed outside the court in Ghaziabad as well as at the Talwars' house in Noida, reports said.

"Three DSPs, three station house officers, 90 constables and one platoon of PAC have been deployed outside the court," superintendent of police (city), Ghaziabad, Muniraj told PTI.

Amid multiple twists and turns, the case attracted intense media glare and in August 2009 the Supreme Court restrained the media from sensational or scandalous reporting of the matter.

Rajesh lodged a complaint suspecting the role of “missing” domestic help Hemraj, a Nepalese national. Initial investigations focused on Hemraj.

The probe, however, was turned on its head after Hemraj’s body was found on the flat’s terrace.

Both bodies bore blunt injuries and cuts of similar nature on the necks. The Uttar Pradesh police arrested Rajesh and the state government recommended a probe by the CBI.

After Rajesh’s arrest, the CBI suspected his clinic-assistant Krishna Thadarai, domestic helps Raj Kumar Sharma and Vijay Mandal were involved in the crime. They were subjected to tests and questioned, but released as the CBI could not file a charge-sheet against them.

Rajesh was released on July 11, 2008, by a court and a newly-constituted special investigation team took over the investigation in September 2009.

The most crucial turnaround in the case came when the CBI filed a closure report in December 2010.

It ruled out the involvement of the servants, but suspected the Talwars and cited “critical and substantial gaps” in investigations, absence of a clear-cut motive and an incomplete understanding of sequence of events on the night of the murders.

The CBI requested special judicial magistrate Priti Singh to close the case, but she rejected CBI’s closure report and summoned Rajesh and Nupur as accused.

A fierce legal battle erupted between the CBI and the Talwars, who moved petitions against the magistrate’s orders before Allahabad high court, the Supreme Court and later filed a review-petition. All petitions were dismissed and the magistrate’s summoning order was upheld.

(With inputs from Peeyush Khandelwal, Soibam Rocky Singh and agencies)

READ: How things fell apart for Talwars who once had it all
READ: 2 murders and 3 mysteries: the Aarushi-Hemraj case
READ: Aarushi murder case: demand for justice in social media
READ: Arguments vs counter arguments in Aarushi-Hemraj case