Aarushi's father attacked | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 24, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Aarushi's father attacked

Aarushi Talwar's father, Rajesh Talwar, was today attacked with a cleaver outside a Ghaziabad court. The attacker has been identified as Utsav Sharma, the person who attacked Ruchika case accused ex-DGP SPS Rathore also. Who is Utsav Sharma | Listen to podcast

india Updated: Jan 25, 2011 20:03 IST

Rajesh Talwar, father of murdered teenager Aarushi, was today attacked and injured outside a court in Ghaziabad by a 30-year-old man, who had earlier allegedly stabbed former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore, a convict in the Ruchika molestation case.

54-year-old Talwar, who had gone to the court to file a petition demanding a fresh probe by the CBI in the Aarushi-Hemraj murder case, was rushed to a hospital by his lawyers after the attack which left him profusely bleeding from the left side of the head, eyewitnesses said.

Senior Superintendent of Police, Ghaziabad, Raghubir Lal said Talwar was recuperating and out of danger.http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/HTEditImages/Images/rajesh talwar.jpg

Lal identified the attacker as Utsav Sharma, a resident of Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh who had come here from Delhi.

"He is the same person who had attacked SPS Rathore outside a Panchkula court in February last year," he said. Rathore was stabbed by Sharma, who was then a student of the prestigious National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad with a pen knife, injuring him in the cheek as he came out of court.

In a similar modus operandi, police said Sharma attacked Talwar with a cleaver as he came out of the court and was moving towards a photocopying shop in the court premises.

In the midst of the commotion, the youth was apprehended by a bystander and taken into custody by police personnel who took him to a lock-up in the court premises. Soon after the incident, some bystanders in the court premises slapped and punched Sharma even as lawyers raised slogans against the police.

Sharma, who was being interrogated by the police, apparently claimed that he was upset at the slow progress in the Aarushi-Hemraj murder case and his intention was only to injure Talwar.

Giving details of the attacker, Lal said "Utsav had done a PG in animation in film designing from NID and had come to Delhi to take part in the International India Art Summit in Pragati Maidan".

He had bought a cleaver from Chandni Chowk in Delhi for Rs 250 and was monitoring the case through the TV and newspapers, Lal said quoting Sharma as having told police.

"He came by bus and had kept the weapon in a bag. He sat at a tea stall and when he saw Rajesh, attacked him twice. He has been arrested under 307 IPC (attempt to murder)," Lal said.

Police sources also said that he wanted to get media attention.

Earlier, Talwar had moved an 86-page protest petition against CBI's closure report in the Aarushi-Hemraj case and demanded a fresh probe.

Rebecca John, Talwar's lawyer said it was unfortunate that court premises had become a ground for such incidents.

A citizen has an absolute and complete right to appear before the court and get his side of the story, she said, adding that Talwar had nothing to provoke the incident.

Following the incident, the court adjourned the hearing in the case till February eight, lawyers said.

14-year-old Aarushi was found murdered at her residence in 2008. The body of their domestic help Hemraj was found in the terrace of the house later.