Abducted boy returns home, police clueless | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Abducted boy returns home, police clueless

india Updated: May 15, 2011 00:50 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

In a shocking incident, an eight-year-old boy was kidnapped from Richmond Park in DLF City (Phase 4), a posh locality which boasts of round-the-clock security, four days ago.

Nishant (name changed), however, managed to free himself from the clutches of the kidnapper and got back home with the help of a youth within a few hours.

He is a student of Class 3 in a reputed Gurgaon school.

What is even more surprising is the ‘indifferent’ attitude of the police department which is yet to register an FIR in the case.

Too ‘busy’ with preparations for the municipal elections, the police have not filed a case yet despite repeated requests from parents of the boy and claim investigations are still on.

The incident took place around 7.45pm on Wednesday when Nishant was playing cricket in the complex.

“As Nishant was fielding along the hedges, a six-foot tall man appeared from nowhere, gagged him, picked him up and ran towards the basement. Here, he slipped and fell on the concrete floor along with my son. The kidnapper, who was well conversant with the topography of the condominium, sneaked into the second-level basement from where he managed to get to the ground floor through desolate patches,” said the mother of the boy, wishing not to be identified.

The accused finally scaled a high boundary wall to get out of the colony, she added.

Nishant’s mother said her son kept shouting and struggling to free himself but the grip of the kidnapper was very strong.
At a deserted parking lot, Nishant kicked the abductor in the stomach and freed himself.

“The man then lost the control and my son hid in the bushes. The kidnapper tried hunting for Nishant but gave up hope after a while. Nishant then ran for his life and reached Chakarpur village. Here, he met a youth who made him call me from a public telephone booth. I told him to bring my son to Galleria market from where my husband brought Nishant home around 10pm,” she added.

The next day, the boy’s parents approached the Sushant Lok police to file an FIR but they allegedly refused as they were busy with election duty.

“It was only on Saturday when the police agreed to accept the complaint and they also visited our apartment to start the probe after we pressurised them to do so. However, they are still to file an FIR,” the woman lamented.

HS Shukla, estate manager of the Richreg Condominium, accepted this was a serious issue and suspected the hand of some worker, probably from the service team, who is familiar with the area. “We are also investigating the matter internally to find out how someone managed to sneak into the complex and succeed in kidnapping the boy in the presence of so many security guards.”

Richreg Condominium is a hi-rise complex comprising Richmond Park, Regency Park-1 and Regent Homes with nine towers and 634 apartments. Shukla claimed 43 security guards remain on duty in three shifts in the condominium.

Amarjeet Singh, the station house officer, Sushant Lok police station, said his team had initiated investigation in the case and would register an FIR after investigation was over. He said, “We visited the house of the complainant today and have started talking to all those concerned. The entire sequence is very suspicious and serious in nature. It requires deep-rooted investigation as the matter relates to a gated community where security guards remain on duty round-the-clock.”