Abducted toddler reunited with family | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Abducted toddler reunited with family

india Updated: Jan 17, 2009 15:55 IST
G Mohiuddin Jeddy
G Mohiuddin Jeddy
Hindustan Times
Abducted toddler reunited with family

A two-and-half year-old boy, who had been kidnapped from outside his house in Ghansoli on Wednesday morning, and was reunited with his parents a day later. His alleged abductor has been arrested.

The child, Rudra Mandal, was allegedly abducted by a 25-year-old labourer from Bihar.

The boy’s father, Rabi Mandal (39) who is a building contractor, had said in his police complaint that he suspected Singh’s involvement after receiving a call from Singh a few hours prior to the alleged abduction.

“Tapan Singh worked for me as a labourer… But there was never any issue between us,” said Mandal.

A special police squad was formed to crack the case. The accused called up Mandal, threatening him not to approach the police. The calls were traced to public call offices in Ghansoli and Kurla.

“The description of the caller given to us by the attendants at the two PCOs matched that of Singh given by the child’s father,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police R.D. Shinde, adding that the attendants also confirmed that the caller was accompanied by a child.

On Thursday, Singh called up Mandal and demanded Rs 6 lakh as ransom, failing which he threatened to kill the child, said Shinde.

The police said that Singh kept making ransom calls and kept changing the venue to collect the ransom money each time, the police said, adding that they had by then tapped Singh’s phone.

Around 10 pm, he called up Mandal and told him to get the money at Bandra-Kurla Complex. “Our team nabbed Singh just as he was accepting the money,” said Shinde.

Singh later led the police to Rudra, who had been kept at a construction site in Bandra-Kurla Complex.”

“I am glad that my child is alive,” said Beena, the child’s mother. “I am grateful to the police.”