Abu Jundal did electrical wiring work in Beed police chief's office in 2004 | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Abu Jundal did electrical wiring work in Beed police chief's office in 2004

india Updated: Jun 27, 2012 02:54 IST
Yogesh Joshi
Sayed Zabiuddin

Abu Jundal, 36, one of the key handlers in the 26/11 strikes, has done the electrical wiring in the Beed district police chief's office. His entire family, including his parents and four married sisters, continue to live in Beed.

Ansari completed an electrician's course from the local Industrial Training Institute in 2004. The same year, he began working as an electrician and was with a contractor who bagged the contract for electrical work in the newly constructed office of the superintendent of police (SP) at Shivaji Square, said Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) sources. "While working as a wireman, there was no case against Jundal," an official said, on condition of anonymity, because he is not authorised to speak to the media.

The Beed police confirmed that Jundal had worked in the SP's office. "But that's a separate issue and not connected to anything," said Dattatray Mandlik, Beed district SP.

All four of his sisters are married, the youngest one got married just a month-and-a-half ago, said an official, adding that they all live in Beed district.

"After the wedding, Jundal's parents have temporarily locked up their home in Dhanagar Lane, Hatti Khana, and gone somewhere," the ATS official attached to the Marathwada unit said.

"We can't disclose the whereabouts of the family. Some of them are anyway facing domestic problems."

The son of an insurance agent, Jundal was his family's sole breadwinner after his father Zakiuddin Ansari stopped working because of health issues.

After Jundal fled to Pakistan following the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul, his mother and younger sister started doing tailoring work from home.

The family's neighbours recall how six years ago the ATS had raided the family's Hatti Khana house, into which the family moved in from Gavrai village in 2005.

"He hardly used to speak to anyone in our lane. No one in the area ever thought he was a terrorist," said a neighbour, refusing to be identified.