WITH JUST two days to go for the August 25 deadline (given to tenants) the administration authorities here have called a meeting on Wednesday to chalk out an action plan to get the properties of Raja of Mehmudabad vacated in compliance of Supreme Court's order.
At least four occupants of these properties had approached the High Court here challenging their proposed eviction saying that the Apex Court's was not applicable on them, as they were the tenants of the erstwhile Raja and not the custodian of enemy property. The HC, which had reserved its order in the matter till Tuesday, is expected to deliver its verdict on Wednesday, according to administration officials.
"Be that as it may, we cannot afford to take any chances after being hauled up for contempt by the Apex Court in the matter. Hence, we have decided to hold a preparatory meeting with police and other officials and make all necessary arrangements for Friday's operation," said an administration officer requesting anonymity. On a contempt of court petition moved by the scion of Mehmudabad Mohd Amir Mohd Khan on August 7, the SC had given more time (August 31) to the custodian of enemy property in Mumbai to ensure compliance of its order.
There were 57 occupants 31 of who are in the Lawrie Building in Hazratganj, 15 in Imambara Malka Zamania, nine in Siddique Building and two in Lal Kothi. Here it is pertinent to mention that only two tenants have so far vacated their premises voluntarily and handed over possession of the properties to the district administration. Though the authorities do not foresee any major problem in getting the properties vacated, should a situation arise where push comes to shove, sources in the administration said their strategy would be to take on the affluent occupants first.