Africans attacked in Delhi again: Swaraj, Rajnath assure prompt action

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: May 29, 2016 11:28 IST
Kate Igbonosa and her four-month-old daughter were attacked by a mob in Rajpur Khurd, Chhattarpur, on the night of May 26. Kate’s husband Kenneth sustained injuries. (Virendra Singh Gosain/ Hindustan Times)

Two days after a series of attacks took place on half a dozen Africans in Delhi’s Chattarpur, external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj said action was being taken in the matter.

Swaraj said she had spoken to home minister Rajnath Singh and Delhi lieutenant governor Najeeb Jung regarding the attacks, and said those responsible would be arrested soon.

“I have spoken to Shri Raj Nath Singh ji and Lt Governor Delhi reg attack on African nationals in South Delhi yesterday… They assured me that the culprits will be arrested soon and sensitization campaign will be launched in areas where African nationals reside,” the minister posted on Twitter.

Read | Congolese man’s murder: Govt faces tough questions from African diplomats

In four separate instances on Thursday night, six Africans were attacked by residents of three villages. Deputy commissioner of police, south, Ishwar Singh, said the attacks were not planned and appeared to have taken place after a dispute. He further said some of the suspects had been identified, and would be arrested soon.

Read | Six Africans assaulted in Delhi village, cops say attacks not planned

Read | Worst 15 minutes of my life: African attacked by Delhiites recalls the horror

The Union home minister also posted on Twitter, condemning the incidents and saying he had spoken to the commissioner of police regarding the matter.

“Instructed CP Delhi to take strict action against the attackers & increase police patrolling in these areas to ensure security of everyone... Such incidents are condemnable,” he tweeted.

The Chattarpur incidents took place barely a week after a Congolese national was chased and killed in South Delhi’s Vasant Kunj.

Masonda Ketada Olivier was killed on May 20 after an altercation broke out over hiring an auto rickshaw.

Read | 23-year-old Congolese man killed in Delhi, police probe racism angle

The foreign ministry on Sunday said it would assist Olivier’s family to travel to India and arrange for his remains to be transported back to Congo.

Days after Olivier died, there were reports of a Nigerian being beaten up in Hyderabad in a parking dispute.

Envoys of the 54-nation continent took a strong stand against the attacks, threatening to boycott Africa Day celebrations organised by the Centre if the government did not take necessary steps to ensure safety of African nationals.

Swaraj swiftly assured that sensitisation campaigns would be launched and asked for police commissioners to meet with African student communities in metro cities.

also read

Nitish hopeful, Lalu guarded about developments in Uttar Pradesh
Show comments