AIMPLB assails CM on Babri case | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 29, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

AIMPLB assails CM on Babri case

The board is saying that the state government is in league with the BJP to scuttle the trial, reports Masoodul Hasan.

india Updated: Nov 19, 2006 19:57 IST

The All India Muslim Personal Board (AIMPLB) on Sunday assailed Mulayam Singh Yadav government for not issuing fresh notification in connection with Babri Masjid demolition case. The board said the state government seems to be in league with the BJP leaders to scuttle their trial in criminal case.

Talking to newsmen in Lucknow on Sunday, the board executive committee members Qasim Rasool Ilyas and Zafaryab Jilani said, Yadav had promised to issue notification clubbing two criminal cases (197,198), but even after lapse of more than three years the state government had not taken any action to fulfill the promise.

The two senior board members said it was indeed surprising that the government had been protecting the BJP leaders. Ilyas said case 198 involving senior BJP leaders LK Advani, Dr MM Joshi, Ashok Singhal and others was pending in Raibareli court.

He said a government notification was required to club it with the case 197 pending in Lucknow court. Ilyas said clubbing of two cases was urgently required to speed up trial of conspirators in Babri mosque demolition.

Ilyas said during the last three years the board had written nearly half a dozen letters to the chief minister but there was so far no response. “Now the Yadav government was on way out, we want that notification should be issued immediately” Ilyas said.

Pointing out that resentment was brewing in the Muslim community over the issue, he said, "tacit understanding" with the BJP on the issue was strange. 

The board has also asked the state government to clarify its stand on “bullet-proofing” of sanctum sanctorum at Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri Masjid site.

Demanding withdrawal of the application, which the central government had moved to the Supreme Court in consultation with UP government, Ilyas said enough security arrangement had been made at the disputed site and there was no need of further fortifying the makeshift temple.

He said since the state government had prepared the security in association with the centre after July 2005 Fidayeen attack on the site, the state should make its stand clear on the issue.

It is learnt that UP government had pushed the ball in the centre’s court. Ilyas said the AIMPLB had been demanding amendment in UP Zamindari Abolition Act to provide right to inheritance to wife and daughter in landed property but the Yadav government was sitting tight over the demand.

Email: mhasan@hindustantimes.com