Air strikes aimed at nationalists: Mengal
Chief of Balochistan National Party says from now on they will hold talks with the Govt only under US and EU supervision.india Updated: Jul 13, 2006 18:31 IST
Alleging that Pakistan security forces want to wipe out Baloch nationalist leaders through a series of air strikes, a prominent leader of the tribe has said any future negotiations between the government and rebels would only be held under the mediation of the United Nations or European Union.
Chief of Balochistan National Party (Mengal) Sardar Akhtar Mengal said the "increase in bomb attacks in the Bugti and Marri areas are meant to target Baloch nationalist rebel leader Nawab Akbar Bugti and his associates and called upon of the international community to take note of the situation."
"From now on Baloch leadership would hold talks with the government only under the supervision of the United Nations and the European Union.
Talks without the mediation of neutral elements would be meaningless," Mengal, a former Chief Minister of Balochistan province, told reporters in capital Quetta on Sunday.
He alleged that jet planes and helicopters had been used to bomb the Domki area of Lehri Tehsil.
"The Domki tribe was punished because the member of Legislative Assembly from the area had quit the government in protest against the bombing of Dera Bugti and Kohlu."
Pakistan officials have claimed that several Baloch rebels have been killed in raids on the Farari camps, a term used to describe the militant training camps and hideouts.
Mengal said jet planes and helicopters accelerated the bombing between July 2 and 5 in the Bugti and Marri tribal areas in order to eliminate Akbar Bugti, Bramdagh Bugti and Balaach Marri, the Dawn newspaper reported.
He also accused the security forces of shooting at seven handicapped Marri tribesmen in Kohlu district. "In such a grave situation," it is incumbent upon the United Nations and the EU to take note of the "excesses", he added.
Asked whether a large number of Bugti tribesmen had surrendered before the government, he said in the insurgency of 70's as well, the then government had made such a false assertion.
He said the four-party Baloch Alliance would meet soon to determine the future course of action.