Fernando Alonso was struggling to understand why his Renault team was being investigated for allegedly ordering former teammate Nelson Piquet Jr to crash at last year's Singapore Grand Prix to help him to victory.
Alonso won last season's first Formula One night race after Piquet Jr crashed into a wall shortly after the two-time world champion had pitted, with the safety car allowing Alonso to position himself well to take the victory. Governing body FIA is investigating claims that the French team ordered Piquet Jr to crash to help Alonso win. “I'm very surprised. I cannot imagine these things, these situations,” Alonso said on Thursday at the Italian GP. “It's something that never entered my mind.”
Reports emerged on Thursday that team principal Flavio Britatore and director of engineering Pat Symonds discussed the idea with Piquet Jr ahead of the race. Piquet Jr is pointing fingers at his superiors, while Briatore has implicated Piquet Jr, according to reports of the FIA investigation. Autosport.com reported Symonds told FIA the idea of the crash was spoken but only as a conversation topic and not a plan of action.
Renault will appear before the World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Sept 21 to answer to charges that could see it thrown out of the sport. “After the hearing, everything will be clarified and will be the time to say something.”