The next career move of two-time Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso will be decided during the next fortnight, McLaren team chief Ron Dennis has said.
Alonso, the 2005 and 2006 world champion, has had a controversial year with McLaren which has seen him at loggerheads with Dennis for much of the season and it is widely expected Alonso will move on.
However, the 26-year-old revealed on Monday he had not yet spoken to another team, remarkably adding Renault would not be his first choice were he to leave.
Whether that was said as a smokescreen remains to be seen because it has been widely speculated Alonso would happily return to the French marque that made him champion on two occasions.
Renault boss Flavio Briatore has also made no secret of his desire to see the Spaniard drive again for his team.
However, there are few teams in Formula One who could match the 14-million-pound-per-year salary being paid to Alonso.
One door was shut last week when Felipe Massa signed a new three-year deal with Ferrari, while Alonso closed another himself in turning his back on a mega-money move to Toyota.
With Alonso's contract at McLaren running through to next year, and with an option for a third, he may feel better suited to sit tight and ride the storm of another potentially rocky season.
"The issue of the drivers is an issue we have continuously told you we will address at the end of the season, and it will be addressed over the course of the next two weeks," insisted Dennis.
"I can tell you we have given it thought, but not thought we can share with you. We feel we have a pretty clear understanding of the future, but it is nothing that we have discussed in detail."
Despite the fact Dennis has barely spoken to Alonso since their bust-up on the morning of the Hungarian Grand Prix, he concedes to disappointment that not just Lewis Hamilton, but also Alonso failed to win the world title.
Both drivers finished a point behind Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen, despite leading the way since the third race of the season in Bahrain.
When asked whether he was glad the season was finally over given the stress and pressure of the spy scandal, and a number of other off-track trials and tribulations, Dennis added: "Well, I am not glad it is over with the lack of a world championship.
"Understandably a few days will help the bruising, but at the end of the day it has been a great season and both drivers have got good results. It is just disappointing neither of them won the world championship."