After remaining suspended for three days due to inclement weather, the Amarnath yatra resumed on Saturday with over 8000 pilgrims leaving for the cave shrine since morning.
Nearly 8000 pilgrims left from Pahalgam and Baltal routes to the cave shrine on Saturday, Madan Mantoo, Spokesman of Amarnath Shrine Board said.
In addition, he said 242 pilgrims left for the 3880 metre high cave shrine by air.
The yatra remained suspended for the past three days because of snowfall and rains enroute to the cave making the track slippery.
However, 5372 stranded pilgrims had darshan at the cave shrine on Friday, Mantoo said.
Mantoo termed media reports suggesting that 200 pilgrims had narrow escape on Friday when their tents were buried under soil and mudslides at Baltal base camp as factually incorrect.
Landslides and mudslides occurred due to torrential rains but there was no threat to life as such because the pilgrims had been shifted to pre-fabricated accommodation at the base camp, mantoo said.
Meanwhile, one more pilgrim died in a local hospital taking the death toll in the ongoing yatra to 36.
Narinder Sarkar of West Bengal who was admitted in a hospital on July 11 passed away last evening, official sources said on Saturday.