Anil Ambani denies Newcastle buy-out bid | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Anil Ambani denies Newcastle buy-out bid

india Updated: Sep 08, 2008 11:40 IST

IANS
Highlight Story

The Anil Ambani group has sought to set at rest rumours within British football that the world's sixth richest man is keen to buy the Newcastle football club.

Ambani, who is said to be worth £21 billion, was first linked with a move for Newcastle last month and, despite strenuous denials, he is still said to be ready to seek talks with present club owner, sports retail tycoon Mike Ashley, this week.

His representatives are denying that the chairman of the Indian phone giant Reliance Communications is about to enter the fray. Intriguingly, though, they are refusing to rule out a move in the future.

"Our position is that nothing has changed and we have been wondering why these stories keep surfacing in England," a spokesman for Ambani told The Daily Telegraph.

"We have not expressed interest in Newcastle. There is nothing in the latest stories. It's a non-starter. As of now there is no interest, although I cannot speculate on what may be the future plans of my management."

Ashley, who bought Newcastle for £134 million last summer and spent £80 million wiping out the club's debts, has been looking for fresh investment but, according to sources, is not keen to sell up.