Hashim Ansari, the oldest litigant in the Ayodhya title suit, on Sunday said he has decided to file an appeal in the Supreme Court on Monday against the Allahabad high court's verdict as all efforts by him to find an out-of-the-court settlement have failed.
"As all the attempts have failed, I have no options left but to file the special leave petition in Supreme Court," 90-year-old Ansari told PTI over phone from Ayodhya.
Asked what prompted the change of stand, Ansari, who has been in favour of an out-of-the court settlement said, "kya karein majboori hai (what can I do, its compulsion now)".
"I never wanted the nation to face any loss because of the Babri Masjid verdict but the parties in the opposition want to divide the country and that I will not tolerate," he said.
Member of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) and lawyer Zafaryab Jilani said Ansari's appeal will be based on the same grounds taken by the Sunni Central Waqf Board.
Besides Ansari, three parties -- Sunni Waqf Board, Hafiz Siddique and Mirzauddin -- have already approached the Supreme Court against the Allahabad high court's decision delivered on September 30 last year.
Bhagwan Shir Ramlala, Nirmohi Akhara and Hindu Mahasabha had also moved the apex court.
The Allahabad high court has reserved orders in the revision petition moved by one Ismail Farooqui, who sought review of the September 30 verdict.
"After arguments on the petition was completed, the high court had fixed April 28 for the next date of hearing. Also, the court had extended its stay on the implementation of its verdict till May 31," Jilani said.
The AIMPLB will be holding its executive meet in New Delhi on February 27 to discuss the case.
The Allahabad high court had ruled by a majority verdict that the disputed land in Ayodhya be divided equally into three parts among Hindus and Muslims and that the place where the makeshift temple of Lord Ram exists belongs to Hindus.