Bollywood actor Salman Khan on Thursday failed to appear in a court here for the recording of his statement in connection with a case against him under the Arms Act, citing "ill-health".
Chief Judicial Magistrate Anupama Bijlani accepted an application moved by Khan's counsel seeking exemption from his appearance in the court on the ground of ill health, and asked him to appear on April 29 to record his statement.
"We had moved an application in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate seeking exemption from appearance of Khan in the court on the ground of ill health, which was accepted by the court," Khan's counsel HM Saraswat said, adding now he has to appear in the court on April 29.
Earlier on Wednesday, Khan's counsel had moved an application in the court with a plea to call five prosecution witnesses for re-examination. The court had allowed this application and arguments took place on it on Thursday.
Public prosecutor NK Sankhla, opposing the application, termed it "delaying tactics" of the defence and argued that these witnesses had already been cross-examined by the defence and that there was no point in recalling them.
Admitting the Public Prosecutor's arguments, the court rejected the application, thereby paving the way for appearance of Khan in the court during the next hearing.
"We had moved an application seeking permission of the court to summon five witnesses for re-examination in pursuance of the four witnesses, who had been allowed to be examined by the court on plea of prosecution. But the court rejected our plea," Saraswat said, adding that they "are now considering moving higher court to challenge the rejection".