As the Centre decided to put on hold the army operations against the ULFA for another 15 days from Thursday, the counter insurgency operation by Assam police and paramilitary forces against the banned outfit would also remain suspended.
Official sources in Guwahati, on Thursday, said the state and other security forces operations would be kept at bay until further notice from the Centre and the police officials had been instructed accordingly.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had also directed the district Deputy Commissioners and Superintendents of Police at his meeting with them in Guwahati on Wednesday to exercise restraint, sources said.
Though restraint would be exercised, sources warned that security forces would retaliate in self-defence, if the ULFA resorted to offensives and insurgent cadres would be dealt with as per law if they indulged in criminal activities and extortion drives.
On August 13, the Centre in a goodwill gesture to bring the ULFA to the negotiation table, decided to halt for a few days, all army operations against the militant outfit.
Five days later, the ULFA in response announced that it would also exercise restraint.