Asphyxia killed Batcha, state wants CBI probe | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Asphyxia killed Batcha, state wants CBI probe

india Updated: Mar 18, 2011 01:40 IST
HT Correspondents
HT Correspondents
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The Tamil Nadu government has formally asked the CBI to take over the job of investigating the reported suicide of Sadhick Batcha, a close aide of former union telecom minister A Raja, now in jail.

In a related development, advocate Prashant Bhushan, counsel for the Centre for Public Interest Litigation (CPIL), on whose petition the Supreme Court has ordered a court-monitored CBI probe into the 2G scam, told a bench comprising justice GS Singhvi and justice AK Ganguly the death was related to the scandal and should be probed by the agency.

He also referred to the state government's request for a CBI probe.

The bench said it would hear Bhushan's prayer if an appropriate application was filed.

It also advised the advocate to wait for the outcome of the state government's decision.

Batcha died at his home in Chennai on Wednesday and his wife said he had committed suicide because he was "unable to cope with the pressure" of the probe.

He was managing director of Greenhouse Promoters, a firm under the scanner of the CBI as well as the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in connection with the spectrum scam.

The CBI and the ED had conducted searches at his official and residential premises in December. He was called for questioning four times since then.

Local police sources in Chennai said on Thursday the CBI was likely to take up the case in a week.

Meanwhile, the preliminary autopsy report indicated the death was due to asphyxia, the medical term for choking.

The doctor who performed Batcha's autopsy, V Dekal, said on Thursday "the death is due to asphyxia. The signs of asphyxia like bluish fingers and damage to internal organs were there. There were no other injuries on the body".

Batcha's wife took the body to the Apollo Hospital soon after the death was discovered. His body was shifted to a government hospital in the afternoon.