Assam Cops identify bomber
A day after three powerful blasts ripped through Assam city killing six people and wounding 50 others, police said the three bombers belonged to the outlawed ULFA and released a photograph of one of them, report HTC & Agencies.india Updated: Jan 03, 2009 00:52 IST
A day after three powerful blasts ripped through Assam city killing six people and wounding 50 others, police on Friday said the three bombers belonged to the outlawed ULFA and released a photograph of one of them.
“We are releasing a photograph of one of the bombers whose name is Pranjal Deka,” Jayashree Khersa, city police spokesperson, told journalists here. A massive hunt is on to apprehend the three Ulfa bombers.
Three explosions rocked Guwahati on Thursday late afternoon, two in crowded market places and another inside a roadside garbage bin.
Home minister P Chidambaram talked tough seeking less political interference in matters related to security. He also said his ministry had intelligence inputs about possible terror strikes in Assam post the political developments in Bangladesh.
“I have asked chief minister Tarun Gogoi and his government to focus on development while the security forces will act decisively and firmly on terror groups,” Chidambaram said here after a two-hour threadbare meeting with the Unified Command on the security scenario. The Unified Command, chaired by Gogoi, is the anti-insurgency coordinating body of army, paramilitary forces, Assam police, intelligence agencies and state administration. He added that broad guidelines have been given to the army, paramilitary forces and the police to finalize “more sharply-focused counter-terror strategies” so that “no quarters are given” to any subversive agencies.
Declining to compare Thursday’s blasts with those on October 30 last year — 92 people died in at least eight blasts across four western Assam urban centers – the Home minister claimed his ministry had intelligence information about the last subversive attacks. The inputs were shared with the Assam government.
“The intelligence inputs we had were building up over the last few days. I had a discussion with Gogoi on the morning of December 31,” he said, lauding the Assam police for acting swiftly to limit the extent of damage. “The police almost caught the main culprit, but they did not have that little bit of luck.”
According to Chidambaram, three persons were responsible for Thursday’s blasts. “The police have all the information about the kingpin and one of his two accomplices,” he said, refusing to divulge if the terrorists belonged to the ULFA. The Home minister maintained the terrorists threw the bombs on the run. “The blast that caused the maximum damage (the third and last at Bhangagarh) was because it hit kerosene stocked in one of the shops,” he said.