Atif called Mumbai aide before blasts | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Atif called Mumbai aide before blasts

india Updated: Sep 25, 2008 23:47 IST
Vijaita Singh
Vijaita Singh
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Two days before the Delhi blasts, Atif Ameen alias Bashir had made an Internet call to one of his aides in Mumbai, says the interrogation report of arrested Indian Mujahideen (IM) member Zia-ur-Rehman.

Atif is one of the alleged masterminds of the IM and Rehman had provided logistical support to him.

Rehman told the police that on September 11, Atif called an IM member in Mumbai through Internet telephony from a cyber café after surveying the blast sites.

Two days later, serial blasts ripped through the Capital killing 24 people. “We have traced the number to which the call was made,” said a senior police officer.

Rehman told the police that Atif had shared some details about the blasts. “He discussed with me some sketchy details regarding receiving of financial aide and academic help in composing the email from someone in Mumbai with whom Atif talked on September 11 through an Internet call,” Rehman told police.

Atif had a second hideout
Atif had another hideout at Sarita Vihar in south Delhi — barely three kilometers from L-18 Batla House where he was shot dead in an encounter — the police said.

Mohammad Shakeel, who was arrested last week, told the police about Atif’s second hideout. He had taken the one-room flat at D-156 Janta DDA Flats, Jasola, six months ago.

“Shakeel told us that besides the L-18 flat at Jamia Nagar, Atif had rented a room at Jasola. Though he moved to Jamia Nagar two months ago, he was still paying rent for the Jasola flat,” said a police officer.

The police said they raided the flat but did not find anything incriminating. “We only found a few bags and some literature and will examine them,” said the officer.

Shakeel told the police that they used to frequent the Jasola flat. “Some meetings were organised where Atif used to indoctrinate the other young men from the group,” said the officer. The police said they questioned the owner of the house and let him off.