ATS ready to file chargesheet against accused | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

ATS ready to file chargesheet against accused

india Updated: Dec 21, 2008 19:23 IST

The Malegaon blasts case is likely to be concluded soon with police saying they have gathered all the evidence to prove the role of the accused in the court.

"The investigation is at a conclusion stage. We are in a position to file the chargesheet within the stipulated time," Anti-Terrorist Squad head K P Raghuvanshi told PTI.

"We have gathered sufficient evidence to prove the role of the culprits. The evidence includes physical, technical and other details," he said.

Though the Malegaon blasts case investigation took a back seat after the death of the then ATS chief Hemant Karkare, officials later stepped up the probe to bring the culprits to justice.

The ATS have arrested sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, Lt Col Srikant Purohit, priest Dayanand Pandey and seven others so far in the connection with the September blast.

The motorcycle, which was seized, is in the name of Pragya Singh, the conversation between her and her accomplices in connection with the blasts and a number of eyewitnesses were what the they have with them as evidence, ATS officials claimed.

"It was true that investigation hampered after the death of Karkare. The efforts he had put to catch the culprits with a strong evidence have prompted us to be more active and work on the case consistently. Now we are back on track," said an ATS officials.

Shiv Sena and BJP leaders had criticised Karkare for allegedly targeting the sadhvi and other accused, who were associated with right-wing organisations.