Australia fire six past Pakistan, Britain thrashed | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Australia fire six past Pakistan, Britain thrashed

india Updated: Dec 06, 2011 23:37 IST

Australia thrashed Pakistan 6-1 with captain Jamie Dwyer scoring a hat-trick while hosts New Zealand drew 3-3 with the Netherlands after a sensational day of action at the Owen G. Glenn FIH Champions Trophy hockey here.

Australia made it three wins in a row with Dwyer opening the scoring the 22nd minute when his cross within the circle was diverted into his own net by Pakistan keeper Salman Akbar. Their advantage was doubled four minutes from the end of the half when Eddie Ockenden lashed home a powerful reverse stick effort to provide some breathing space.

Luke Doerner made it 3-0 before Dwyer then claimed his second of the game with a sublime touch on a cross from the left before completing his hat-trick was a calm finish from close range. Mark Patterson crashed home a sixth from a tight angle before Asian Games champion Pakistan scored a consolation goal in the 6th minute thanks to a penalty corner from Muhammad Zubair.

Dwyer took his tournament tally to six. The Kookaburras will go into next phase as winners of Pool A and will take some stopping in the Championship stages.

Spain romp, Kiwis and Dutch draw
Spain, too, produced a stellar performance to defeat Great Britain 8-1 in their final Pool A encounter. The Spanish came back from 0-1 down to score four times in either half to seal their place in championship pool along with New Zealand, Australia, and the Netherlands.

New Zealand fought back to claim a memorable draw with The Netherlands, a result which put both teams through to Pool C, the Championship Pool.

Billy Bakker scored for The Netherlands in the 28th minute. Jeroen Hertzberger doubled the advantage a minute later. Taeke Taekema made the score 3-0 in the 48th minute.

New Zealand then fought back. Goals from Blair Hilton (53rd), Phil Burrows (55th) and a penalty stroke from captain Dean Couzins two minutes from the end earned them the draw.