Popular Australian TV channel ABC claimed that the alleged sting operation by another Channel Seven on alleged security lapse at the Commonwealth Games was "ridiculous and dishonest", but the latter has threatened to sue them.
ABC's Media Watch on Monday night highlighted loopholes in Seven News reporter Mike Duffy's report, which received worldwide coverage on the lack of security for the Commonwealth Games.
The channel said that when the "filming was done, full Games security was not yet in operation" and said the "entire stunt ridiculous and dishonest".
Media Watch host Paul Barry alleged that Duffy's suitcase was empty anyway when he walked into the stadium area and indicated that the reporter manipulated the whole episode, ABC claimed in its report.
The Channel Seven crew had conducted a sting operation that was broadcast last week. They had claimed that they were able to walk in carrying a large trolley suitcase having explosives capable of triggering up to 200 explosions if fitted with a detonator.
The news crew said they were easily able to obtain a detonator and ammonium nitrate from the capital, adding to a slew of allegations that preparations for the mega event had not been up to the mark.
Soon after ABC report, Seven Network reporter Mike Duffy said he was "suing ABC TV's Media Watch for defamation" and are "retaining the nation's top lawyer in the field, Mark O'Brien".
The Delhi Police had also called the sting operation motivated. "It was deliberately planted as the reporter does not even know that ammonium nitrate is a fertilizer and a non-prohibited item for sale in India."
"There is no lock down in Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium security as yet. Security will be bolstered with additional deployment after the complete lock down and substantially more during Games time," the police had said.